What does J. Cole, DJ Khaled/Drake, and Joey Bada$$ all have in common? They all realized that the pandemic has our attention spans in disarray and in order to get us to focus, they have to spoon-feed us their new tracks. EPs have always been a thing in between bigger album announcements, but lately artists have been releasing 2-3 song packs to give us a taste of what's to come and keep us entertained while we social distance.
This is a great approach to releasing music as an independent artist right now while funds are low, creative juices are flowing, and you want to keep your audience tuned in to what you are working on. Don't let your art and strategy cease because the world is on pause. You can also still be creative with your marketing rollout for your smaller drops as you would an album or mixtape:
- Give your 2-3 pack of singles a title of it's own, depending on the mood of the music
- Release each pack of singles in chapters, based on things you've felt or experienced during the pandemic
- Get custom cover art made for the song pack, instead of each individual track to save cash
- Record a video for one of the singles or mashup of all of them
- Host a virtual streaming party for the release
These are just a few examples of how you can get innovative with sharing your new tunes with the world. Social media is a powerful tool but make sure you are thinking beyond posting on your timeline when considering dropping new music. There's a wealth of new content out there, how do you make yours stand out?
Leave a Reply.